Post #2 Stereotypes



3 Stereotypes of Youth:

  •  They (youth) Can not be trusted 

  • "Youth are to be feared, controlled, contained, and as Nathan noted, "Kept in." (Steinberg 269).

  • "Young people are self- indulgent and uninvested in more sophisticated "adult" concerns" (Bogad). 



Why we believe them:

  • Media -magazines, television, music, movies, etc.  They tell  stories on how teens are believed to act
  • Old Traditions -  older generations telling how youth act.  Believe in "motions" youth have to go though 
  • "We believe we know youth- we once were youth" (Bogad).
  • "Psychological and biological assumptions" (Bogad). - this is youth having to act a certain "because they are youth" Things that have been thought. 



My Memory:
As a youth I was often not considered an equal by an adult.  An example that stands out to me is when I was 18  and working at Kohl's my senior year of high school.  While I was inside working, someone had hit my car, denting the front near the wheel  and taken off without leaving a note. I had to call the cops. As he arrived he began to question me. "Are you sure you didn't do this?" (the dent was on the drivers side, I would have seen it) Why were you in kohl s for so long?"  Eventually my mother showed up because my car was in her name and the cops attitude changed. He became a human. He told her there wasn't much he could do because no one had seen the accident and from the point on he only addressed my mother, even though it was my car.  What made it so hard to just treat me human?

Comments

  1. Haley--that story is so resonant for me, and it makes me angry just thinking about it! The feeling of not being taken seriously and not trusted because of age (or gender, race, accent, etc.) is so infuriating and pervasive. Thanks for sharing, Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley,

    I've been in a similar situation to this, and I totally get your feelings. For me, it felt demeaning and horrible. Being young can be so hard at times. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley- I really liked how you added pictures and colorful fonts to your blog. it really caught my eye and made it more interesting to read. I liked how you were so descriptive in talking about your memory and even going as far to add a picture of yourself. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haley,
    I love the set up of this blog post! It was super easy to follow and very organized. I also liked the quotes that you picked out, those also stood out to me as stereotypes. Also, I can definitely relate to your story and have been in many situations similar to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haley,
    I love the way you set up this post it was easy to read and pulled me in. Also, it caught my eye when you wrote about your experience about being stereotype and that's awful I would be so mad. At the same time I probably won't of done anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haley, I really love how you constructed this blog and the images you used! The bullet points you used I think demonstrate you points perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teachers Care 4 Students

Ideology 4 me