Daycare Makes my Blood Boil For Justice

INJUSTICE IN MY LIFE!


For me this was the first thing that popped into my head. I worked at an "unnamed" [confidentiality] daycare for over a year and a half of my young life.  For six of those months, the last six months before I quit I was a lead teacher for ages 18-24 months making 10.30 a hour. That was after asking for two raises and reviews. They were never just given.






MY INJUSTICE:
 I soon found out on two separate occasions that new staff were coming in with no training or certifications as teacher assistants starting at 10.50 while I was making 10.30 to be a lead teacher.  I had been here for a long period of time and I had taken training to be a lead so I was not sure how this was possible.

WHAT I DID:
I asked the manager the first time I found out. This is when I was still making 9.80 an hour. She told me this was not true and gave me a 50 cent raise. stating that was the best she could do and that I was not making the most beside one other person who had been there longer than me. I was satisfied until another new staff started and bragged about making 10.50 a hour. That is when I considered leaving the company.  I was out for ankle surgery and knew I needed to start an internship so I decided to no go back to a company where my work was not valued.

IF THIS HAPPENED AGAIN:
 I really hope I have the skills and the knowledge to research and find a company that values their employees so this doesn't happen again. If it does happen again, I plan to keep addressing it. I am there for the youth and if I do not get paid I can not support the youth as I can not drive my car to get there. I can not eat which would make me moody and not a good role model. If the manager didn't listen to my concerns, just like in this case, I would go above them to seek out a solution.  Hopefully good things would come and I would not lose my job.


OTHER PEOPLE:
 I feel as though is is something many people have to experience, especially woman.  I am saying this because it is known that there is a pay gap between what men and women make. For example, last Christmas my fiance and I got part time jobs in retail at the same company as cashiers. He got offered 10.50 a hour while I got offered 10.00. I think money and getting a living wadge will always be a constant struggle but it should not be an injustice as in these two cases.

*all images are from  google 

Comments

  1. I would be so angry on if I was given least money than someone else, because it's not fair we are working the same amount of work than anyone else. I too think that the director need to talk with more beneficial and insightful considering everyone has a hiring times and should get a raise when asked or no have to different amounts.


    From Emily Twitchell

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #2 Stereotypes

Teachers Care 4 Students

Ideology 4 me