Why I YDEV!

I was pushed..

for so long I had people informing me about the youth development program. Probably, since my arrival at RIC.  I didn't want to hear them. I didn't know what youth development was and it did not sound interesting. Development? I have to know what stages youth go though WHAT?!?!

I Started Teaching..


When I started teaching at a daycare I was shocked at all the standards that even 3 month old have to meet. Why do we have standards for thee year old? Why are we documenting their strengths and weaknesses? Why do they have a writing domain?  Holding a toy the wrong way means they wont be able to write?  Why does every bumble bee craft in the four year old room have to look exactly the same? cant some have two heads? Some have 4 wings?  Why cant the children learn though their own creative minds. Why do they have to learn and complete activities exactly how the teacher has them planned.   

Documenting Felt Wrong..

  Why  is little Timmy getting a two in writing because his butterfly have five wings instead of four? He still did the art project. He glued the paper by himself. He did the placement by himself. Is it not more rewarding when he can complete the project by himself without our help? He created that all by himself. He has something to be proud of.  Why do we take toys away and limit choices? They should have  freedom to grow and create how they wish. So what if they make a mess? They are learning. They are happy. They would rather do that than a worksheet so their mind is more open. 

Finding Home..


After passing all my Praxis and being completely unhappy with the education program and the path I was headed, I found Youth Development and that is where my future started for me. Now I have the opportunity to teach children though play. I get to see them run and create activities on their own. They can create projects that do not have to be design specific. I get to see more smiles than I have seen in a life time.  These children are happy and these children are learning. They are surrounded by people who encourage their creativity and that is what youth need in their life. I wanted to be that people that helped to support youth to become individuals and that is why I chose YDEV.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #2 Stereotypes

Teachers Care 4 Students

Ideology 4 me